Propaganda is a crucial part of the revolutionary’s toolkit. And counter-propaganda is a crucial tool of the free and democratic state. Any truth and culture warrior should seek to dismantle censorship systems as a matter of principle, as well as getting the word out about the nature of totalitarianism, and the realities of modern America.
There are three audiences you should keep in mind for information warfare.
- Allies – Allies should be encouraged and given information to strengthen their morale, education and resolve.
- Adversaries – Adversaries should be given information to demoralize them, make them question their beliefs, and make them waste their time. Trying to reason with them is likely to be futile.
- The People – The vast majority of people who are indifferent or uncertain are the primary targets of propaganda. These people MUST be reached by our information activities.
Step 1 – Circumventing Censorship & Sandboxing
It is a simple fact that censorship exists throughout America at the current moment. Most of this is self-censorship, enforced by two decades of politically correct indoctrination. Other censorship is technological.
Sandboxing is a very nefarious form of censorship, which allows conservatives to communicate amongst themselves, so that they feel uncensored, but their communities are prevented from communicating with the outside world. Essentially, Conservatives are free to talk to other conservatives, but if they speak with Liberals they are silenced.
This censorship/information control technique is currently being used on Reddit, Facebook and is being unveiled on Youtube.
Solution – Use old fashioned un-censorable techniques.
Posters, flyers and brochures are all techniques the truth and culture warrior can use to get his messages across. These techniques are effective, they reach the public at large, not just other conservatives, and are difficult to censor. The sharpie marker is nearly impossible to censor and has been used to great effect in other popular information campaigns.
Do not underestimate the power of old-fashioned media.
Suitable Messages for Counter-Propaganda
One principle of rhetoric and argument is that you must meet people where they are. That means that BEFORE you compose a message, you need to understand your audience’s world view, and how to create “cracks” in that world view.
To put it simply – your goal should be to make the smallest argument that your audience is likely to accept. It is only by changing people’s worldviews in many tiny increments that we can hope create a change in the public awareness.
- The Meme Armory contains a good list of arguments and concepts that should be reinforced in communications.
- The Power of Prophecy – One powerful way of influencing people via propaganda is if you “predict the future” – this will give greater authority and credibility to your future messages. Statements like: The Russia Narrative is Fake will not be very convincing to the public when released, but months later when the evidence is revealed, your audience will realize you had the power of prophecy and will be more receptive to future messages. This is a great strategy to use when you have access to information that your audience does not – and would not accept if you shared it with them directly.
- Direct people to communities – Don’t just spread messages – point people towards conservative information sources such as The_Donald or other information sources so they can find out more. This is crucial to expanding the movement.